Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Hidden Dreams





12" x 6", made of used foam core and brown wrapping tape and paint. Covering outside with machine stitched and hand stitched cloth of varied sizes, paper, loose weave cloth to connect. Top triangle cloth connected with loose weaved cloth, stamped cloth and assorted beads as beads also on bottom. cork and cork pieces for legs and large bead for crown. Inside loose weaved cloth and a scattering of tea stained mica flakes.
Took some time not only creating the skeleton of the box but then delving into following a random piecing and stitching wrapped cloth. The strong pull in creating this box was the revealing what might have been long buried, a box of dreams? a box of treasure? a box of keepsakes? While on this art making journey, I couldn't help but think of all the lives lived and even my own life...questions come up as to lived fully? lived well? Altogether it's been a rich ride. My next box will be different shaped and I'll be dreaming of the silk road, silks, dusty roads, caravans, camels and maybe Marco Polo? Finding (creating) a box (my love of archaeology) with mystery has a huge pull in my art making.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! When you said you were making boxes, I had no idea something this awesome would be the result. Really terrific work! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aHHH, so glad you like this piece...lots of work but a nice place to return (box making) and still stay connected to my stories.

      Delete
  2. Aaack! I love this! Is there any way it could be mine? Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little bit speechless and very grateful for your good words. My email is a click away on 'my complete profile'. Send me a note so I will have your email. Mary Ann

      Delete
  3. Thank you for photos of all sides, I think this is spectacular and I am intrigued by the idea of what was long buried.... just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't do this without the story and what was 'long buried' connects my little life with all others before me!!! Thanks for stopping by here!

      Delete
  4. As I said on facebook, this piece is just amazing, Mary Ann! Scrumptious to look at on every side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharmon...inside, outside, lid all sides...pulling things together as one piece was a challenge for me.

      Delete
  5. Working all sides was a challenge...thank you for your good words.

    ReplyDelete

reply