Tuesday, November 20, 2018

First Becomes Last

mixed media,9 3"x3" canvas, gold leaf, wire, crystals, assorted cloth and machine stitching. This was the first image on this blog waaay back in 2008. Funny story....I had this blog up and running a short time and I became ill. Thinking I might have pneumonia, Paul and I went to the doctors and one thing led to another and 15 days later in the intensive care ward I was told I had 3weeks to 3months to live if I went home. I chose to go home and with the help of hospice....I slowly got better...better meaning hospice could pack up and leave ...friends could stop cooking dinners because now I could go on but with limits. I would  need to be  using oxygen full time...day and night. We adjusted, with oxygen canisters and concentrator and cpaps. We changed to electric kitchen and we had help with once a month heavy cleaning otherwise we returned to our normal lives, took small trips and had fun dates. My condition is not a disease but rather a serious problem with crushing torso due to osteoporosis The funny part of this is that my art making became a stronger focus. I spent time in the studio exploring and just generally playing. Having this blog was one of my delights. Comments have mostly faded but I am devoted to keeping this space open. Lately I have slowed to a stop at the work bench. I don't know what an artist block might feel like but I know I am not suffering from any angst, self-doubt yada yada yad. One day I noticed I hadn't been working or even stepping in to clean up or gather materials or write about next projects. It has been awhile and I've looked at this from many angles. My health has taken a change as well...10 years is a long time and I believe at 74 other factors have come into play...I did smoke as a young woman so that might explain my physical wearing down.

 Final thoughts I will continue this blog, adding words and photos art related and when I have a new piece, I will gladly share. I'm active on Facebook. . Thanks for taking the time to read this!

9 comments:

  1. I love that piece! Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving and that you continue to take good care of yourself. I'll email you soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. Good care...good food...all good! Look forward to your note!

      Delete
  2. I am adding you to my prayers. Life is for enjoying and I hope that as you and me as well (73 years young) can always find new and different ways to express our talents and enjoy the gifts God has given us. You proved the doctors wrong before, that tells me that you are a very strong woman . . . hang in there sweet blogging sister. I'm standing with you.
    By the way, I love your art!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much...yes to expressing talents and mostly for enjoying life as it unfolds. This blog has been so important to me...I look forward to posting.

      Delete
  3. Hello Mary Ann. It's been ages since sitting down to read all the blogs I love to visit. I'm sorry to hear you have been dealing with this and I do hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving.

    While I was weakest and recovering from my mastectomy I couldn't wait to get out of bed to draw and create art at the studio table. It was like I had been jolted into needing to make art every waking moment. That lasted for about a year and a half. Now that life seems to have settled I'm feeling less motivated, less energetic and less inspired. Ugh.

    Let's hope we both get some creative mojo back. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for stopping by and for sharing your experience with dark and bright days. Nothing is sweeter than a good day in the studio. I'm so grateful for this blog and all the wonderful connections!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bluesky.
    I am really sorry to hear you are dealing with health demons.I am also, so lets vow to kick some demon booty together!
    Hope to see you posting soon. My muse is beginning to call me again,but it's a kinda weak call so far.
    All the best to you, and please take care.
    XO Babs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary Ann. I'm so sorry that I missed this post when it first appeared. Since the end of October, I too have been dealing with health demons, though not my own, thankfully. I seem to have had little time, energy or motivation to work on my stitching, but I'm sure you know all about that.

    I hope that 2019 brings you peace and some space to stitch and be creative.
    All the best
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS I should have said how much I like the piece you show here, but I clicked on publish too soon!
    And yes, I too regret the drop-off in comments on my blog. It would seem Instagram with its 'likes' and emojis and brief catch-phrases have won the day for the moment. But I too keep going, although I do also post on Instagram, but I find it far less satisfying.

    ReplyDelete

reply