Thursday, October 8, 2015

Indigo Dusk

"Indigo Dusk", 8"x12", hand stitching.
October is my birthday month and I've gifted myself with three books, "Slow Stitching" by Claire Wellesley Smith and "Stitch Stories" by Cas Holmes and pre-ordered "Storytelling with Collage" by Roxanne Evans Stout. In the same week I also ordered online a blue plaid flannel shirt, jeans and a black cardigan with snaps....but then that is an unrelated art story!
The Slow Stitching book is beautiful and encouraged me to try slow stitching in creating this piece. Using several different fabrics was one of my distractions as well as my old eyes and stiff fingers. I'm rather disappointed with my large uneven stitches and some of this could also be my temperament. I have covered most of the surface with seed stitches, running and blanket stitches and I'm promising myself a smaller surface and less complications. This indigo piece represents my new series searching for the time just before dawn and the time just after sunset...that beautiful glow.  










































11 comments:

  1. Hi Mary Ann,
    This is a lovely piece, imho! Great colour combo of the fabrics and stitches, very pleasant to look at

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much...the stitches were my challenge and the capturing of the light of dusk was gratifying! Glad you are back and posting again!

      Delete
  2. I love how you have spoiled yourself in your birthday month - I think the piece you have made uses beautiful colours and who cares about uneven stitches that is what makes it truly unique - lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you have spoiled yourself in your birthday month - who cares about uneven stitches, they make it unique and you have used lovely colours

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosie, I've always enjoyed buying a little something for my birthday and then throughout the year the items give me extra pleasure!
    My two choices lately are 1. being meditative slow measure stitches and 2. free style stitches both machine and hand stitching. I seem to float between...thank you so much and will be glad to visit your site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful piece! Love that seed stitching. Will reply to your email soon...it's been a busier-than-usual week for me. All good, though! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie, Taught myself this seed stitch by watching a video on YouTube.

      Delete
  6. My how that blue sings in the midst of a wonderfully composed piece of art. I think the stitching simply adds to the charm. I have the same Cas Holmes book (love her work) and am a fan of Roxanne Evans Stout as well. I will have to check out Claire Wellesley Smith, since you put her into this trio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great fun to share our treasured books. Both Cas and Claire's books are printed by the same printer and I love the feel of the covers and beauty of the photography. Thank you for your good words!

      Delete
  7. happy birthday to you, fellow Octoberite! Hope it was a good one. My friend old pajamas ordered the Stout book for me for my b-day so I look forward to its publication. I also look forward to further work you may do. BTW would it be possible to enlarge the letters in your posts? Very hard for me to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I'm looking forward to her book as well! I have a note to myself to darken or enlarge the type to this blog...thanks for the reminder.

      Delete

reply