Monday, January 19, 2015

My Forever

11"x16", rust resist cloth, freezer paper screen print, painted & stamped cloth and paper, gold leaf, machine and hand stitching, silk digital copy of Dead Sea Scroll portion, beads.
This is my second in my series of seven Homage to the Scribe. The scroll below is written in both Hebrew,Greek and Aramaic but if you look closely you can spot the letter from above ... the lammed. Many words and prayers begin with this letter and one of my favorites carries the meaning of forever.
Artists and words always seem to meet ... I had a dear friend (abstract artist) that studied pen and ink with a well known Chinese calligrapher for several years and developed a rich practice and friendship with her mentor. I am not alone in my astounding love for the beauty of the calligraphy on the walls of the Alhambra. The ancient rules for the scribe of Hebrew haven't changed over thousands of years ...a rich devotion. My raw combining of fabrics, beads and such is my way of uncovering or rediscovering in my own way the artful beauty of illuminating letters.

NOTE: I have the most amazing new neighbor ... a hummingbird! A tiny little nest has been built in a leafy branch off my deck and I watch the back and forth of this sweet little whirlybird! I've read gestation is several weeks so I'm gratefully loving life in new and small ways! Most of the time looking at this branch is like a "Where is Waldo" sighting so it's just fun to know the nest is there and all is well!


6 comments:

  1. this piece is amazing and lucky you, a hummer is such a great totem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caterina, Good news ... I feel lucky just watching the ins and outs of mama hummer! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Mary Ann, your new piece is glowing. Rich with color and texture. And I love that you have a little humming bird living close to you. Ours won't be back for a few more months!
    roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roxanne, Thanks for stopping by (busy with your book!). These letters require a more formal setting and I'm enjoying adding detail!
    I'm surprised by the humming birds too ... spotted another group setting up house in the tree across the street. I'm in a humming bird circle ...whirl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous piece in so many ways.... i love the color, texture, the stitching, that calligraphy.... sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharmon, Now I'm all smiles ... thank you for your thoughtful good words!!

      Delete

reply