Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Chant

12"14", cotton cloth, digital photos on organza, hand cut stencil, beads, machine and hand stitching and band of trim.
I'm not fond of words in my art so whenever I can I obscure the letters so they become more of lines and markings but this series is all about ancient scribes so I've changed things up a little. The letter of this piece is Kof and I've stenciled three in gold at the bottom. I've placed the word holy (3 times) above which begins with the letter Kof reading from right to left. Actually holy is associated with this letter with many examples. The center photo of wild grass on organza is to me one choice of holy ground. I laid this sheer photo over a painted yellow paper towel so it would have a glow. Loved doing my simple little stitches and bead work. The assortment of fabrics were soaked, dipped or brushed with a mixture of green and gold fabric paint...again I was going for some glow!

9 comments:

  1. This piece touches me. Maybe because of the current tribulations
    Is it for sale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz, Such thoughtful words..thank you. Yes, to your question, I do sell some of my pieces and can be reached by email by clicking on (view my complete profile)

      Delete
  2. I think this is my fav to date, and I love words, as you know... the wild grass on organza is a stunning holy ground center piece.. just amazing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caterina, I like that this is a favorite of yours...thank you! I've used that wild grass before and it so speaks to me.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Mary Ann, this piece is just so lovely - the colors, the images, stitching, and words - perfect! I love looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharmon, Thank you...you have touched my heart with your words of praise on this piece...I'm so pleased.

      Delete
  4. Connie Rose, Thank you ...this series has been a rich experience for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very exotic and I see the glow. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, Thank you, I'm glad the glow is noticeable and I appreciate your good words!

      Delete

reply