Thursday, May 11, 2017

Nomadic welcome

12"x13", tea stained cloth, machine and hand stitching, gold foil, hand cut stamps.

This piece began with the story of the Nomads and how they have a custom of never turning away the stranger. I used the colors brown, red and black to denote the common colors of desert weaving. Actually had a very different kettle but I felt it didn't fit with the other shapes so I did what I rarely do...dismantle the shape. This time I used a photo transfer of an ancient kettle that I thought a better "fit". I used foil with the addition of stitches.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely piece. Sometimes you just have to rip elements out and do them again...I've done it myself. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate your words. Sounds silly but I believe it takes artistic courage to 'begin again' on a finished piece. Weekends melt into weekdays...all good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this - the colours, the textures, the universal images of sharing and hospitality! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire...your words mean so much to me. A true spirit lifter!

      Delete

reply