Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Blest Water

9"x11", bits and pieces of printed, dyed, bleached, stamped cloth. machine and hand stitching, digital print on organza.
This is about my fourth desert ritual bath (Hebrew- mikvah) and each one has been important to me in beginning new work. I was waiting on some rusting cloth and began this piece by combining and stitching small pieces of scraps found at the bottom of my cloth bundles. Couldn't help leading into squares, rectangles and imagery that resembles a desert rock setting. I added embroidery and colored organza and finishing with digital columns on organza...as a found ornate wall piece.
I love this time of year as it is so rich for me in memories of birthdays, holidays and acceptance of the beautiful fall season. Water is the true washing away and beginning again.

8 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful. Everything works well together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ...the balance, I believe is in the color...loved creating it!

      Delete
  2. Just gorgeous as always, love your work and had to stop by for a closer look! love it that you use scraps, bricolage at it's best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caterina...maker of beauty using scraps and findings...thank you for your good words!

      Delete
  3. Water has always been a part of sacred ceremonies of many cultures down through time - "a washing away and beginning again" as you so eloquently put it. These pieces you've been making feel like sacred symbolism to me, like ancient temple artifacts found on an archeological site. I find them very moving and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharmon. All my work leads to my spiritual journey...writing, cloth, prayer, paint, stitch...all one here in the studio!

      Delete
  4. Sue, Thank you for stopping by and for your comment...much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

reply