Thursday, April 21, 2016

First becomes Last

"First Becomes Last", 12"x14", assorted tea stained cloth, hand and embroidery stitching, muslin backing.
Mixed feelings about this one. I feel I've accomplished an old rather found piece due to the tea staining and the whimsy of the rolled up night sky gives me some magic. I'm pleased with the all over stitching as well as learning some new ways...feather stitch! I had stitched the beginning squares and rectangles together rather than machine and again I enjoyed slowing down and taking on a slow process of stitching. The title represents my first effort in this oasis series and the fact it just may become more of a sampler rather than the ancient journey in the desert. I had hoped to roll it up like a scroll in a faux leather paper but color and size just didn't work out. It's all a back and forth unfolding and I don't always get my way!
Not sure who stops by to visit or if all this personal explanation is even being read but it helps me clarify in a journal/sharing way. I realize the less wordy sites are more popular...post the photo with less and less words...answer with less and less words. I posted to Facebook from my phone for the first time and needed to keep it short because of the tiny keyboard...we are all in a hurry!!

4 comments:

  1. I think this piece is spectacular! It has so much depth and the colors work perfectly together. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On occasion my grandmother would say "Oh that does my heart good" and I would wonder what she meant so now with your comment I now know and feel the good at the heart level...thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read - and I'm sure many others do too! But I understand what you say about how writing your blog clarifies your ideas. That is one of its most important functions for me ... but it's awfully good to know people do read what I write and leave a comment, and sometimes (even) leave advice and help that gets me going and thinking. It's all so much better that the almost wordless posting and responding..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully said here! I'm glad to know we are readers of each others blogs!

      Delete

reply