Sunday, August 23, 2015

Love Amulet

"Love Amulet" 5"x10", painted cloth, tassels, pearl beads, wedding ring charm, gold leaf, embroidery and machine stitching, gold paper and molding paste.
Taking on the tools of the Amulet Maker in this one as well as my own story. According to Chinese Horoscope, I (monkey) am compatible with dragons. I've loved both dragons and snakes so I guess I've followed ancient suggestions. I created the snake/dragon with molding paste using a hand cut stencil. There were breaks with the paste while drying so I used gold leaf as a patch. The tear drop pearls are from a pair of earrings and the wedding ring set from a very old charm bracelet. Putting these amulets together using what is at hand has been such a good experience...no running to the store for more beads or threads. The top piece changed so many times as I couldn't find a color or print that worked for me and then ...this fabric showed up in one of my three fabric bins and I just knew it would be fine...funny how this all works in matters of the heart and art making.

8 comments:

  1. Love reading about your process for creating amazing art! Your thought process is very inspiring! what a stellar stash you must have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, thank you, so glad to know you like reading about 'how' I get myself to the finished piece. I think for me, its all about not rushing to finish but being patient with the not knowing how it will all turn out...a little like life?! I'm shocked how many stuffed plastic zipper bags I have collected.!

      Delete
  2. Another beautiful piece! Hope you're having a relaxing weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, Thanks, I'm enjoying this amulet series...really like the process of 'taking on' the making and living with a protective object...holding magic?!

      Delete
  3. Mary Ann, this is definitely my favorite of your amulet pieces so far. Every piece of it seems to fit together so perfectly, and I just love the winged snake/dragon. I have a question, though: What is molding paste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharmon, Thanks so much. This product is from my mixed media days by Golden gel mediums...Light molding paste. In this case I cut a stencil of the snake and with a palette knife ran this medium over the stencil...on fabric its a hit and miss effort but when it is dry it has a raised surface.

      Delete
  4. Hi Mary Ann,
    What intrigues me is how you give a deeper meaning to the art you create! As for me, I just have the need to make things and then just sit down and do it. I often think that this is not art then, but when I look at my creations I know this is not true. It probably has more to do with what type of person one is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are all art makers and we find inspiration in all different ways...glad to have you stop by here!!

    ReplyDelete

reply