Monday, June 22, 2015

Sample Amulet 2

Sample amulet, small 5"x51/2", painted cloth, painted paper, assorted beads, stamped, stenciled, machine and hand stitched.
Exploring new directions following my list of six suggestions (Facebook June 4th) and along the way I believe I have found a creative expression in making amulets. In the ancient world there was a thin line between magic and medicine and calling on a "scorpion charmer" was common. This charmer would among other duties, create amulets for a patient for protection?! Ideas are developing but my best way is to plunge in and try this or that...this piece went several directions and I stopped at this point. I had fun stitching beads 'using up' small amounts of leftover glass and plastic beads.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful piece. Your larger works all resemble amulets as well. You have a wonderful sense of composition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these encouraging remarks...I work alone and it feels great to hear another voice. I'm just about finished with my exploring samples and I have been leaning on the amulet making ... this was so timely...!

      Delete

reply