Sunday, September 21, 2014

"Leaves of Heaven"

12"x12" wood panel with fabric image. Second image in mosaic series of 3. Flour paste resist, cotton, hand and machine stitching, digital photo leaves on organza and hand stamped leaves. New computer and new photo editing software so I've been in a slowdown about posting. I was not born with a mouse in my hand and everything I learn seems to take me so long. I've discovered the wood panel is not ideal for the way I work. I like to change my mind, cut away or add to a piece and its almost impossible when its glued down. I'll try for the third mosaic in this series and I'll use the remaining panel but that will be it for me combining fabric onto wood.
This is such a special time of year for me ... a turning it seems. I'm willing to re-think my direction in art making, a fresh beginning to a new/old journey. A time to replenish supplies, write and dream up places, ideas for these last years. I will be turning 70 in October and that requires a celebration for sure. I'm willing to let go and to open up, to change and to invite the familiar. Not making much sense but my first job is to clean the studio and start writing! Enjoy your Autumn.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfectly wonderful way to start your new season, Mary Ann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, There is something about Autumn that speaks of turning, must be the birthday!

      Delete
  2. This is really lovely! It's interesting to hear about your thoughts on the process (working with new "media"), including the discovery that a wood panel is not ideal for your particular way of working. Who knows, though, maybe by the time you complete the third one you will make some more discoveries about using wood panels?
    Best of luck as you change direction and celebrate seventy years - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arzigogolare, Thank you! Thank you also for the good birthday wishes!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely piece! Perhaps after all was said and done, mounting on a wood panel would work for you. I have many small quilts that were mounted on stretched canvases, well after the quilt itself was finished. Congrats on your upcoming 70th! Hard to believe, isn't it?, how old we're all becoming. Old as in merely a number, certainly not in spirit. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie Rose, Thank you and good or bad I'm painting my third wood panel so maybe this time it will go a little easier!
    Yes, to my BIG birthday as I'm surprised I even will be arriving at this age. There does seem to be a difference what with aches and such but I'm pacing myself physically and celebrating my own brand of wisdom. Its been an interesting ride!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I am blown away by this -- such a combo of mixed media! Happy 70 and happy studio-cleaning!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, Thank you so much for stopping by and for saying such good encouraging words. I've been playing with fabric + for two years and I'm really enjoying the process!
      Turning 70 is a great surprise!

      Delete
  6. I like the colors...They make this special!

    ReplyDelete

reply