Saturday, December 28, 2013

Restoration M103

14"x16", painted fabric, embroidery, machine stitching, handmade stamps, blue fabric pen, paper napkin, satin ribbon.
Had a good time putting these three embroidery pieces together. I hadn't planned on palm trees but one thing led to another. I saw an ancient fan like carving on a museum site and next thing I'm cutting into a rubbery stamp. I've learned so much using fabrics, beads and embroidery in my art making this past year. One of the things I have learned to accept about me is my strong color palette...I just can't seem to work with neutrals for any length of time before I pop in some purple etc...! The key always for me comes back to breaking loose of patterns and counter that with accepting personal ways of mark making ... a fine but not so easy balance.
On New Year's Eve day I'm going to settle down with notebooks, study books and find a plan on how to proceed in 2014, an outline of sorts. I'll also find a new word ('stillness' this past year has been wonderful) that will act as both an anchor and or wings to the days ahead. I know I plan on reminding myself that this is the year I learn to delete my camera photos and get rid of that pesky date that shows up, more important plans too. Later I'm going to meet with husband at the beach and share our writing ... a mini retreat ... hope to finish off with a nice ritual, maybe wrapping up our written plans, maybe a ritual burning or maybe we will just haul it all home for reference. It will be cold out there so our sharing will be to the point!
However you approach the New Year ... I wish you all health and happiness. Crossing over to the New Year, a year never lived before ... 2014!


16 comments:

  1. Beautiful work Mary Ann! Wishing you a wonderful, art-filled new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie Rose ...I like the idea of an art-filled new year!

      Delete
  2. as I noted on yr FB post, I really enjoy seeing these three pieces put together into one. love your color palate! And your plans for New Years Day eve day sounds so good. wish i was able to plan. though maybe the kinda fleeting ideas noted in my journal could be an outline for a plan. but most of them involve taking classes not producting work.

    Lovely you and your husband will do this together and share. May the new year be a good one for you Maryann. Blessings, suki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suki, Thank you ... I was really questioning how to pull the three pieces together and I think the background painted muslin was the beginning to the answer.
      We all have different ways to plan or outline or plans not to outline ... classes can be a great way to jump start the year!
      Thank you for your blessings!

      Delete
  3. I think I am going to use Zazzle as one of my words, I am picking 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie, Zazzle is one perfect new word for the year ... good wishes 2014!

      Delete
  4. hope this finds you deep into your first day of this new year!! Always so inspired by your process and this piece really intrigues!! the very best to you in this coming year!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good start for 2014 ... sunshine and all the family driving home so tomorrow is studio day! Thanks for stopping by as I always appreciate your words!

      Delete
  5. I love your approach to reflecting on the outgoing year and "planning" the new year. My word for 2014 is focus. The close second is gratitude. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly self suggestions but always good to write down ...had a lot of perfect words but I've settled on 'space' as my guide. Gratitude is always welcome. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. I saw this on Facebook and was totally fascinated with it. Well done! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your visit and words mean a lot to me ... thank you so much! Yes, onto new work and a new year!

      Delete
  7. What a pleasure to see your work once more...I think you always know how to proceed...on to a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know how to proceed but I am good at pointing myself in a direction?! So nice to have you stop by ... Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. Glorious piece, Mary Anne! I love your colour palette, the palm trees and how you've incorporated the delicious X square from your previous post.

    Stillness worked so well for me last year that I'm finding it difficult to leave it behind in 2013. My new word was going to be AWAKEN but for some reason I'm fighting it and wondering whether to search for another word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robyn!
      I had difficulty leaving 'stillness' and chose some wonderful replacements but none stayed with me. One day 'space' showed up and for me, perfect ... outer space, inner space, work space, spirit space ... I have SPACE posted on my wall and look forward to the year of being and knowing space!

      Delete

reply