Friday, October 3, 2008

"Flying Fearless Freyja"

October is here...for me that represents the new year as recorded in Viking history. Spiritually it's our new year (Pablo and me)and October is my birthday (Suki too) which begins yet another new year!
I've just ended working with my coach Shannon, she has been so supportive and has directed me to some hard questions concerning new work. I have been able to set new goals in subject as well as marketing goals. The coaching course was offered by Eric Maisel and it's the second time I've participated in the program.
I also began the new series with a muse....no surprise! Since last spring my illness left me shaken and unsure about my energy and what I could expect from myself in the way of new work. I still love a challenge, exploration, research, mixing materials and methods but do I have the strength both physical and emotional to see a series through?I created a muse by creating what I needed most...fearlessness. Her title is "Flying Fearless Freyja", she like the others wears a helmet and this time goggles. Her hair is made of cloth, feathers and her braid of ribbon, cloth and satin. acrylic paint. After framing her I took to my journal and wrote from her perspective: Make yourself an oasis, a plan to rest, to heal, to lay down smell sweet perfume, drink cool water and taste honeyed dates, spiced olives and warm bread. Sleep with the stars and moon circling your soul and awaken to bird song and sunshine. Go, go and rest your body, mind and soul. You have further to go and you've been through an unexpected storm...rest, smile again, fill your eyes with grateful tears.....The subject of oasis has come up for me on and off and so it is now fascinating me enough to begin work! I begin with mixed media stories or narratives of oasis. I plan on 6-8 pieces. I have taken four to be photographed and I must admit I've struggled within my spirit. I believe they are a prelude to more abstract work...we shall see. It is so helpful having this blog to clarify where I am in this process ...thank you for your presence.

9 comments:

  1. ah Mary Ann. I do adore FFF. That hair, that smile. Interesting her eyes are hidden from us. she looks like a WWI air pilot. May she bring you a fearless spirit as you enter your new year.

    That's cool that you worked with a coach. I wonder if she specialized in creative people. Or just a regular coach?? a friend on mine's sister is a well known coach in SF who teaches other coaches. Faith Fuller.

    Good luck in your new series. Will be watching to see your new work as you feel ready to reveal. I love the idea too of making yourself an oasis. Lovely. Be well, suki and happy birthday MONTH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suki, Glad you like Freyja...I agree, she does look like a WW1 pilot! Eric Maisel www.ericmaisel.com has written tons of books on creativity. He also teaches coachs for creative people and ever so often he offers artists "free" course as a client for his students.Shannon was my coach and we communicated by email for 8weeks...I got free coaching and she got to coach a client. He is also from the SF area! Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she looks a lot like you in full Viking regalia!

    Miss you.

    P-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Patrice, So good to hear from you. I think this muse might work in the banner? I imagine you on a ladder creating your mural...I liked all three...which one did you choose? Did you finish Annie's portrait?
    I miss you too...still think I see you in town?!
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Patrice and say that this FFF does look like you! I wish I could click to enlarge her to see more of the detail. I'm very impressed MaryAnn. I got somewhat creative this weekend and finished a blouse (tunic really) that I had started last year. Thank goodness the fabric was classic black with unevenly scattered white dots - not real polka dots - more like scattered bird seed. Still looking for the courage to break away from creating from a pattern, although I always alter in some way - who needs a ruffle. Ha! It sounds like the coach was a great inspiration!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, Thank you...I had painted her eyes but then found these old 3-D glasses that became her goggles. Tunics are todays basic top ...always need one. I say why re-invent the wheel, use a pattern and like you, alter, make it your own!
    The coaching helped because I am very good at keeping promises and I would set goals and then keep them. Left on my own, I can easily excuse myself. Once I get rolling on a project it has its own energy...right now I'm on my fourth piece in the oasis series...not happy yet but I'm working and that is key.
    Whatever happened to packaged ginger bread? I'm laZy and wanted to have an easy desert with a little whipped cream on warm ginger bread cake???
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is gingerbread in the box gone!? That takes me back to my mom. Mom's home made (assisted by the best boxes available) baked goods! Maybe others on this blog will help you find some. I've got a taste for it now. smile.
    p.s. I'm wearing my new tunic now - big presentation at 8 a.m. I accented with red coral jewelry!
    wish me luck!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Freyja is delightful! And inspiring! October is my favorite month, as well as my birthday month, too. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Willow, Thank you, Freyja will be my reminder on courage. Isn't October wonderful?! I so remember my mother ordering my cake from the bakery with pumpkins and chocolate writing! wow You must be the romantic Libra...be sure to announce so we can wish you well. Your blog has me calling my video store making requests for your movie selections!!

    Karen, I think coral jewelry would look great with a black tunic... I hope the meeting went well! I found some molasses in the cupboard so I will make my own gingerbread.(I hope molasses doesn't spoil?)

    ReplyDelete

reply